Posted by Mindy Shamp on
Confession and new obsession: 1) I believe we may be turning into foodies 2) I’m becoming addicted to photographing our food
The interest was always there, but Jordan and I have lately turned into slight nerds with our menu. We now plan what we eat! I know, crazy right? No more standing at the fridge/pantry and pouting, “What are we going to eeeeeat!?” Okay, that was mostly always me. Jordan usually resorted to plain buttered pasta without fuss whenever he couldn’t decide. But now we’ve gotten into the habit (it wasn’t a resolution, ‘cause we don’t do those) of sitting down on the weekends and planning the next week’s dinners before heading to the grocery for their ingredients. We fend for ourselves for breakfast and lunch, but dinner is now always a definite. When Jordan gets home from work, we excitedly grab our dinner goodies from the fridge/pantry, and get to work creating a yummy dinner. We’ve always loved to cook together, and finding new recipes makes things even more exciting. Though Jordan does get slightly frustrated when we create something truly awesome, and I don’t let him eat it before taking photos. :)
I’ve been afraid of over-using this recipe this winter, but we made it again last night for our Superbowl get-together and it was yet again a hit. I have to give credit where it’s due, this recipe is from our wonderful Appalachian alumni friends, Travis & Jennifer! Travis created it himself, actually, and did a mighty fine job. Every year for Appalachian’s homecoming weekend, about 12-15 of us cram ourselves into a luxurious cabin just outside of Boone, NC, and last year Travis & Jennifer made this chili. None of us could stop eating it. So, I begged Jennifer to send me his recipe. I’ll stop type-yapping now, and list it below.
Doesn’t it look delicious? It really is.
Serves 8-12, depending on how hungry your crowd is :)
- 2 shots of Black Label Bourbon (one for yourself, one for the chili)
- 1 lb ground turkey (or any other meat you’d like)
- 1/2 small white onion, chopped
- 2 (16 oz) cans mild chili beans
- 2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- optional toppings: blue corn chips, pico de gallo, shredded cheddar, sour cream, lettuce (we like to make taco salad) :)
- (Love this, from Travis’ recipe): Take 1 shot of Black Label Bourbon
- Brown (or in turkey’s case, “whiten” :) meat in 4qt pot, then drain in colander.
- White meat is draining, cook onion in pot until translucent.
- Add meat and 1 shot of Black Label Bourbon to cooked onion. Let simmer on medium-low for 5 minutes.
- Stir in chili beans (one can drained, 1 can with sauce), tomatoes, and spices. Simmer until ready to serve.
- Top with whatever you’re in the mood for and get your noms on.
This recipe is highly-requested by our friends & family, so we figure other folks might want to give it a shot as well. And if I continue to be obsessed with photographing our meals, maybe we’ll do more “foodies” posts. :)